Dog Walkers Help Dogs Beat the Back-to-School Blues
Your pups have played with you and the kids all day this summer, but with school starting their happy routine grinds to a halt and pivots back to hectic school schedules. This means many changes for your dogs, who go from being with you all day to being left to a quiet, lonely house for long stretches at a time. Dogs can suffer from such drastic changes in routine- especially those who have anxiety issues, which is why our dog walkers are ready to help with these tips for beating the back-to-school blues.
Prepare for the Back-to-School Dog Blues
If your kids are going back to school, be prepared for howling, barking, or whining (70 percent of anxious dogs), destroying objects (60 percent) and maybe having accidents (30 percent). Sometimes anxiety, fueled by inner fears or exterior noises like storms, will lead to dogs destroying doors, blinds, and curtains in their frenzy. According to Dr. Nick Dodman of Tufts Animal Behavior Clinic, “There will be an exuberant greeting when you do come home, one that can last several minutes and be completely crazy, then the dog will run to the food bowl.”
Tips on Relieving Dog Anxiety
There are ways you can smooth the transition between the dog days of summer and the back-to-school blues, including:
- Giving pups treats and toys when you leave,
- Playing down departures and arrivals,
- Creating a safe space in your home where they can rest comfortably and happily,
- Practicing your new routine with your dog instead of abruptly heading to school,
- Enlisting the help of dog walkers to break up the monotony of long days.
The above tips work well for dogs without severe anxiety. If your dog suffers from severe anxiety, it’s important to get to perform independence training, where you discourage them from following you around the house all day. While it’s comforting for both you and your pet, letting them stay by your side all day is ultimately detrimental to your pet’s mental health as it may create too much dependence. Teach them how to stay alone in one room while you’re in another. If you’re having trouble, contact a reputable dog trainer like Applause Your Paws for help with your independence training. Dogs with severe cases of anxiety may need help from their veterinarian.
Miami Dog Walkers and Runners to the Rescue!
As caring animal lovers, we want your dogs to feel comfortable when you leave home. We’re happy that we can be of service to dogs who would otherwise stay home alone all day. You can get your dog much-needed exercise and play to brighten their day by hiring one of our professional dog walkers.
Dog Walking and Running Services
- Our dog walks start at 25 minutes a day and are completely customizable to your dog’s specific needs. For example, it costs just $22 for 25 minutes of fun, relief, and exploration. You can schedule your dog walker a couple of times a week to uplift your pup’s spirits and gives them the movement, exercise, companionship, and relief they need.
- Running is the great exercise for energetic breeds (we have a couple Catahoulas, Labs, Goldendoodles and Pointers in mind!). While many dogs enjoy a nice walk, some get a bigger kick out of our “Fit Pups” option, which involves our dog walkers riding their bikes with one of your pups for a good 20 to 30 minutes, depending on what your dog likes. We have a few clients who live by this, especially working breeds, those who go on long runs with their parents, and those with behavior issues.
Please contact us to get your dog’s exercise routine off the ground at 305.794.3733 or at email@example.com. We look forward to giving your pets exactly what they need to live fit, healthy, and happy lives!